Thursday, February 26, 2009

mosh

"Let me simplify the rhyme just to amplify the noise."

Becoming music without words and thought. Now I'm from the South, so I enjoy a good beat. And that's great for the club scene. But in my car and in my home, it doesn't do much for me. Remember the days of rap that spoke the voiceless blacks in the projects. Or the music that came with a strong political purpose.

There are folks who don't believe in rap because all they hear is the noise. But maybe they forget about the numerous rock and bubblegum pop songs that are nothing but sound without real lyrics.

There are folks who've given up on rap because all they hear is the noise. I would challenge both to respect the ability to flow in Jay-Z and Lil' Wayne. To see evolution in Kanye and Lupe. To recall the thoughtful lyrics of Common and Talib. To embrace the diversity of Eminem and M.I.A. To acknowledge growth by T.I. and Jeezy. Not to mention the dozens of artists rarely seen or heard by the masses but inspire the superstars we know.

This is rap music. It is alive. It is beautiful. It is complex. And true fans want the rhymes and can live without the noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment