Monday, March 30, 2009

through the wire

"But I'm a champion. So I turned tragedy to triumph. Make music that's fire. Spit my soul through the wire."

So what if he's cocky? All rappers are. But instead of having confidence about his ability to sell drugs on the corner, he is sure that he is smart, talented, and worthy of being listened to. Is he wrong?

To most of us, he emerged on the rap scene after a near-fatal accident. His first hit was recorded while his jaw was still wired for recovery. And we all knew it was amazing.

He followed with songs that made us think, laugh, and celebrate. He changes moods between lines. He creates beats with moods. He is attempting to revolutionize hip hop.

And he has. He is mainstream but real. His music is catchy enough to grab the attention of the thug. But his songs are a reflection of my life. He talks about identity crisis, religion, and the pitfalls of fast-living. Then he talks about club-hopping and reminisces on college days.

Yes he is a bit rough around the edges. He knows he has a voice, and I suspect he's still learning how to express that voice appropriately but uncensored. But he gives his soul every time he opens his mouth. I think its encouraging, and wish I had more of his confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment